Vice-President South, Chief, Atlantic City Police Department
Henry M. White, Jr. was born and raised in Atlantic City. He is a product of the public school system and a proud graduate of Atlantic City High School. He joined the Atlantic City Police Department in 1985. As a Patrolman his assignments included Safe Streets Unit (Foot Patrol) and Alpha, Bravo and Charlie Platoons. Between 1988 and 1997 his assignments as Detective consisted of the Narcotics Section, Major Crimes Unit and the Intelligence Unit. During this period, he was also a member of the Hostage Negotiating Team and was the Critical Incident Stress Management Officer for ACPD.
In 1997, he was promoted to Sergeant and was assigned to Internal Affairs. As Sergeant, he was also assigned to supervise the Casino Hotel Investigations Unit and the Juvenile Bureau.
In 2001 he was promoted to Captain and held assignments of Patrol Shift Commander, Hostage Negotiating Team Commander and was the CALEA Accreditation Manager for the Atlantic City Police Department.
In 2005, he was promoted to Deputy Chief and held assignments as Deputy Chief of:
- Field Operations: Patrol Bureau, Crash Investigations, Motor Cycle Patrol, Police Towing Division and The Holding Facility
- Criminal Investigations: Major Crimes, Juvenile Investigations, School Resource Officers, General Investigations and the Forensics Section
- Support Services: Training, Police Personnel, Budget Unit, Records Section, Property and Evidence, and Court Liaison Unit.
- Special Operations: Special Investigations Section, Prostitution Unit, ABC Unit, Intelligence Unit, Tactical Patrol Unit, FBI Safe Streets Task Force, US Marshalls Fugitive Task Force, FBI, JTTF, SWAT Team, Hostage Negotiators, Bomb Squad and Homeland Security
In December 2013, he was promoted to the rank of Chief of Police.
He is a graduate of William Paterson University, holding a Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice Administration. He graduated from the West Point Command and Leadership Program, Northwestern University School of Police Staff and Command. He holds a certificate from the US Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation – Law Enforcement Executive Development School. He attended the Anti-Defamation League’s National Counter-Terrorism Seminar held in Israel. He is a graduate of the Senior Management Institute for Police/ Police Executive Research Forum at Boston University. He also graduated from NOBLE’s two-year CEO Mentoring Program, sponsored by Cedarville University in Ohio.
He has been recognized by the United States Justice Department, Drug Enforcement Administration. He has been named Police Officer of the Year, has been awarded Exceptional Duty Citation Star(s) for Bravery and Gallantry. He has received several Meritous & Exceptional Duty Awards.
Professional Affiliations include:
- International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP)
- New Jersey State Association of Chiefs of Police (NJSACOP)
- Police Executive Research Forum (PERF)
- National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE)
Past President of South Jersey Chapter. Currently Vice President South
- Law Enforcement Executive Development Association (LEEDA)
- Member of Executive Board Joint Terrorism Task Force (JTTF, NJ)
- Certified by New Jersey Association of Chiefs of Police as Accredited Command Executive – Chief of Police Advanced
- Criminal Justice Advisory Boards for Stockton University and Atlantic Cape
- Member of the Planning Board for the city of Atlantic City
- Member of the Executive Board for the Atlantic City Police Athletic League (PAL)
- Member of the Executive Board for the Atlantic City Police Foundation
Chief White and his wife Briggitte have three sons, Henry, John, and David, daughters’ in-law Latiya and Cori, and four granddaughters.